Established 1976


January the 2nd, Ideal time for a first outing with the car and no worries of drink driving after the New Year celebrations.

New Yearís Day was sunny and dry, canít wait for tomorrow. Hood down and away to go, no more cobwebs in the exhausts or condensation to deal with. At least that was the plan. 

The alarm went off bright and early. Leaping out of bed in expectation, draw back the curtains. What?! Itís foggy and soggy. Weíre not supposed to have rain. Never mind we can leave the hood up and pretend itís a nice day. Not a hope, more chance of cooking snowballs. The battery is as flat as a pancake, or in my case as flat as a CrÍpe, they are flatter than a pancake, for those who arenít sure. Modern here we come! 

The start was from the Dylan Thomas Square in front of the Tramway Museum, thanks to the efforts of Roger Gale in persuading them to let us in. Despite the iffy overcast weather, a good number of members and friends turned up for the run. Some braved the weather and turned up in their classic, some came in their everyday car. It didnít matter which they chose, they turned up anyway which is what counts.

The route took the members out past Toys R Us and off towards Dyfatty and Brynhyfryd and on up to Llangefelach before turning towards Penllegaer. Through Gorseinon towards Loughor but turning left before Loughor and approaching the marsh road from the left. Over the narrow bridge, this didnít seem to faze Roy Miles who was giving his newly acquired Bedford TK an airing for the first time. Apparently it was slim enough    

Turning right at the lights we headed towards Penclawdd along the estuary, turning left at the Esso Station, at least some did but I gather most used the short cut up the lane just before the garage. Cheats!

Over the common, turning right to go over Cefn Bryn. No views, rain and cloud saw to that. Left through Reynoldston and back through Parkmill and Bishopston to Blackpill and the Woodman Inn for lunch. 

We had originally booked the upper dining room for our lot to eat together, but such was the turnout that we filled it and more.

When we explained that more than we had expected were going to descend on them, we expected to run into problems. However, the staff were really helpful and immediately reserved a number of other tables in the main dining area for us to use without any fuss, they also warned the chef and his kitchen staff that the numbers had increased. Still no problem. Unusual in this day and age of poor customer co-operation. 

The food was very good and the company was superb. A good end to the run and a chance to catch up with everyoneís news and gossip.  

A big thank you to all the members and friends who made the effort to turn up on what had started as a dismal morning, hoping that the weather would improve, which it did in the end.

A big thank you to Mike Jones who organised the New Year frostbite run which took place yesterday.  We are thinking of changing the name of the run with possibilities being the Trench Foot Run or the Soggy Willy Run but you never know it might be dry next year.



© The Swansea Historic Vehicle Register 2009